BL 550 Basic LoaderThe Dillon BL 550 is the basic version of the RL 550C reloading machine. Instead of having the automatic powder measure and priming systems included with the RL 550 model, the BL 550 offers a funnel system so weighed powder charges may be poured into the case without removing it from the shellplate. Primers are set into the primer seating arm by hand. The BL 550 will accommodate the widest variety of cartridges, from 32 ACP up through 338 Lapua, 416 Rigby and 460 Weatherby.
Machine shown with dies and a caliber conversion kit, which are sold separately.
BenefitsThe BL 550 has a manually indexed shellplate making it easier to master the various steps of reloading. Manual indexing also gives the operator greater control over each individual step in the loading process. Caliber changes are simple and require fewer parts than other machines which makes it less expensive to convert to another cartridge. The BL 550 has the same frame as the RL 550C and offers a quick-detachable toolhead for easy die changes. Automatic powder measure and priming systems may be added at any time which should increase your production rate to 500 – 600 rounds per hour.
How it WorksReloading with Dillon’s BL 550 is EASY as (Station) 1-2-3-4!
Most shooters realize that reloading is the most economical way to enjoy their sport, but many shooters are unaware of just how simple it is to reload. In fact, Dillon’s BL 550 is one of the simplest reloading machines to learn to operate. The BL 550 enables you to complete all of the steps in the reloading process, one step at a time, without having to change, and then re-adjust, dies for each operation like you must with an old-fashioned single-station press. Skeptical? Follow me through the reloading process.
- Place an empty cartridge case into the RL 550B’s shellplate at Station One. Lower the operating handle. The BL 550 will deprime and resize the case. While the platform is in the “up” position, set a primer into the primer-seating arm. Raise the operating handle, and push it forward to seat the primer into the case.
- Advance the index sprocket with your thumb and lower the operating handle. At Station Two, pour your powder charge into the case. Raise the operating handle and advance the index sprocket with your thumb.
- At Station Three, place a bullet on the powder-charged cartridge case and lower the operating handle. This will seat the bullet into the case. (NOTE: with some manufacturers die sets, it may crimp the bullet in place as well.) Raise the operating handle and advance the index sprocket with your thumb.
- At Station Four you may use a separate crimp die (most Dillon die sets incorporate a separate crimp die to facilitate easier die adjustment) or simply advance the shellplate with your thumb and remove the loaded cartridge from the shellplate at Station One.
What next? Repeat steps “1” through “4.” Sound easy? You bet it is!
Of all the steps in reloading, the adjustment of the reloading dies is the most critical. With the Dillon BL 550’s removable toolhead, your dies will stay in perfect adjustment. There’s no need to screw them in and out even when changing calibers! The BL 550 functions perfectly with any standard 7/8” x 14 die set. There’s less to go wrong, less to remember.
It’s Your Choice
You can struggle along with a slow, cumbersome, single-station press with all its adjustments, changes and secrets, or make your life easier with a BL 550. If you’re thinking about a competitor’s reloader, before you put your money down, consider this: Dillon will let you try the BL 550 for 30 days. If it doesn’t live up to our claims, or your expectations, return it. We’ll refund your money. Our warranty is simple: If it breaks, we’ll fix it FREE for as long as you own it.
Rifle and Pistol
The Dillon BL 550 will produce match-quality ammo for over 160 different rifle and pistol calibers.
The BasicsThe BL550 uses the RL550C caliber conversion kits. You must order a caliber conversion kit separately. Order caliber conversion kits HERE
The BL 550 includes:
- The basic Machine
- A written instruction manual
- Caliber Conversion Kit (not included with the base unit)
- Die set (dies are not included with the base unit)
- Powder scale
- Reloading Handbook
- Dial caliper
- Case lube (for bottleneck cartridges)
If you want to leave your dies preset, you'll need:
- Toolhead (#13909)