The Dillon BL550 is the basic version of the RL550C reloading machine. Instead of having the automatic powder measure and priming systems included with the RL550C model, the BL550 offers a funnel system so weighed powder charges may be poured into the case without removing it from the shellplate. Primers are set into the primer seating arm by hand. The BL550 will accommodate the widest variety of cartridges, from .32 ACP up through .338 Lapua, .416 Rigby and .460 Weatherby.
Machine shown with dies and a caliber conversion kit, which are sold separately.
The Base Model BL550 includes:
- The Base Machine
- Written Instruction Manual
Reloading With the BL550 is Easy as 1-2-3-4!
Most shooters realize that reloading is the most economical way to enjoy their sport, but many shooters are unaware of just how simple it is to reload. In fact, Dillon’s BL550 is one of the simplest reloading machines to learn to operate. The BL550 enables you to complete all of the steps in the reloading process, one step at a time, without having to change, and then re-adjust, dies for each operation like you must with an old-fashioned single-station press. Skeptical? Here is the reloading process :
- Place an empty cartridge case into the BL550’s shellplate at Station One. Lower the operating handle. The BL550 will deprime and resize the case. While the platform is in the “up” position, set a primer into the primer-seating arm. Raise the operating handle, and push it forward to seat the primer into the case.
- Advance the index sprocket with your thumb and lower the operating handle. At Station Two, pour your powder charge into the case. Raise the operating handle and advance the index sprocket with your thumb.
- At Station Three, place a bullet on the powder-charged cartridge case and lower the operating handle. This will seat the bullet into the case. (NOTE: with some manufacturers die sets, it may crimp the bullet in place as well.) Raise the operating handle and advance the index sprocket with your thumb.
- At Station Four you may use a separate crimp die (most Dillon die sets incorporate a separate crimp die to facilitate easier die adjustment) or simply advance the shellplate with your thumb and remove the loaded cartridge from the shellplate at Station One.
What next? Repeat steps “1” through “4.” Sound easy? You bet it is!
Of all the steps in reloading, the adjustment of the reloading dies is the most critical. With the Dillon BL550’s removable toolhead, your dies will stay in perfect adjustment. There’s no need to screw them in and out even when changing calibers! The BL550 functions perfectly with any standard 7/8” x 14 die set. There’s less to go wrong, less to remember.
It’s Your Choice
You can struggle along with a slow, cumbersome, single-station press with all its adjustments, changes and secrets, or make your life easier with a BL550. If you’re thinking about a competitor’s reloader, before you put your money down, consider this: Dillon will let you try the BL550 for 30 days. If it doesn’t live up to our claims, or your expectations, return it. We’ll refund your money. Our warranty is simple: If it breaks, we’ll fix it FREE for as long as you own it.
Rifle and Pistol
The Dillon BL550 will produce match-quality ammo for over 160 different rifle and pistol calibers.
The BL550 uses the RL550C caliber conversion kits.
All options can be selected from the product configuration menu, or from the "options and add-ons" section below.
If a * is contained in the caliber conversion listing it means you need the XL Powder Die #21253 , orderable in the configuration menu.
You will need at a minimum:
- Caliber Conversion Kit (not included with base unit)
- Dies (not included with the base unit)
- Powder scale
- Reloading Handbook
- Primer Flip Tray
- Case Lube (for bottleneck cartridges)
We also suggest :
- Dillon Dies which are designed for high speed use
- A machine cover to keep the unit dust free
To change calibers, you will need:
- Dies for each additional caliber
- A caliber conversion kit
If you want to leave your dies preset, you'll need:
- Toolhead #13909
- AT500 Powder Die #16629
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information, go to https://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov