bashkuar@outlook.com
bashkuar@outlook....
2 posts
Joined April 2020

223 Stuck Case(s)

I am an experienced 550B/223 reloader using Dillon case lube. Over the past several months I have been getting stuck cases (about 1 in 8). These are cases that have already travelled through one of my three AR's. Dillon has rebuild the machine and I have replaced the sizing die, I have spoken to 2 Dillon Tech's and used their suggestions. I had another stuck case tonight, despite putting extra spray around the cartridge base (where the wall is the thickest). Tonight I put the die in the freezer to see if brass case contraction might work.
Any suggestions?
coreymet
coreymet
2 posts
Joined February 2015

RE: 223 Stuck Case(s)

Assuming you are speaking about the resizing die, I would make sure there is no excess lube/dirt/whatever gumming up the die.
bashkuar@outlook.com
bashkuar@outlook....
2 posts
Joined April 2020

RE: 223 Stuck Case(s)

Yes it is the sizing die. I destroyed it attempting to remove the stuck. I will order another one from Dillon on Tuesday. Then start over.
jforwel
jforwel
72 posts
Joined November 2007

RE: 223 Stuck Case(s)

Make sure the whole case has enough lube not just the base.
tet301
tet301
30 posts
Joined February 2016

RE: 223 Stuck Case(s)

A few years ago I switched to Dillon Case Lube and experienced a couple of stuck cases. Maddening and time consuming to use the stuck case removal tools to remove. My problem was that I was spraying the DCL on the cases and going immediately to work. One of the forum members reminded me the DCL uses an alcohol carrier that MUST be given several minutes to evaporate, which then leaves just the lubricant. So I began spraying a sheet full of clean brass, rolling them a bit to make sure of uniform coverage and then busying myself with other tasks for about fifteen minutes. I believe that brief delay made things go smoothly and as much as I hate to jinx myself, no stuck cases since. Additionally, I had been using a small base resizing die--in addition to the trim die. No, I really don't know why I did that. But I know this provided me with an additional opportunity to stick a case since much of the lubricant was removed in the size die, and I also learned that the trim die did a great job resizing the brass. Accordingly, I have since modified my process by removing the resize die altogether and installing a decap die in station one. I find that the trim die resizes the brass adequately for my ammunition to load, fire, extract and eject from my AR's without any stuck cases--in the die or worse --at the range. Best wishes to you.